The nomenclature of “the Department of Weights and Measures” is changed as “the Department of Legal Metrology”, as notified by the Government on issuing the Notification. As the name suggests, the Department of Legal Metrology, relates to the units of weights and measures, methods of measurements and measuring instruments and the regulatory safeguards to the public. It is the result of the well foresight of our National Leaders that led to the adoption of the most progressive and uniformed Metric System throughout our Country, in order to align with the recommendation of International Organisation of Legal Metrology, for which India is also a Member Country.
The Department of Legal Metrology is one of the important organs of Consumers’ Protection. It has an important role to play in providing the Citizen with friendly Administration of Services. It is concerned with technical and statutory requirements to safeguard the Public Interest from the point of view of security and accuracy of weights, measures, etc.
- Initial and periodical verifications of weights, measures, weighing and measuring
- Inspections and surprise visits to the traders’ premises, inspections under the Legal Metrology Act, 2009, of all the general traders, (of shops, establishments, groceries, consumers’ societies, etc.,) Factories, Mining Industries, Petroleum retail outlets such as Dispensing Pumps (petrol pumps) petroleum vehicle tanks, petroleum storage tanks, for the check of weights, measures, weighing scales both mechanical as well as Electronic, Measuring Instruments such as Dispensing Pumps, Flow meters, Taxi and Auto rickshaw (Fare) meters, all types of packaged commodities.
- Joint raids and weekly market inspections, and launching of prosecutions against the offenders.
- Verification of the weights, measures, weighing instruments and the measuring instruments.
- Maintenance of the Secondary Standards, Working Standards and their periodical verifications.
- Metrological control on Packaged Commodities, including inspections and surprise visits for the same.
- Launching prosecutions against offenders, compounding the offences and filing cases in the Court of Law.
- Metrological control on Manufacturers/packers of the packaged commodities, including the inspections and surprise visits to check the net content at manufacturing premises and packing premises.
- Control on Manufacture/Dealer/Repair/Sale, of weights, measures, weighing and measuring instruments, by issue of licences.
- Weights, Measures, etc.: Weights, measures, etc., means every type of (metric) weights, measures, weighing and measuring instruments inclusive of taxi/auto rickshaw meters, weigh bridges, dispensing pumps (petrol pumps), storage tanks, vehicle tanks, etc.
- Trader: A trader is the user of weights and measures, weighing and measuring instruments, or dealing in packaged commodity items.
- Offender: An offender is a person who contravenes the Provisions of the above-mentioned Acts and Rules.
- Manufacturer: A Manufacturer is a person/owner of a Manufacturing Unit who has to apply to the Department in the prescribed form and is/are issued with a licence to manufacture the weights, measures, weighing and measuring instruments under Legal Metrology Act 2009.
- Dealer: A Dealer is a person who deals with weights, measures, weighing and measuring instruments, who has to apply to the Department in the prescribed form to the Department and is issued with a licence by the Department to deal with the weights, measures, weighing and measuring instruments.
- Repairer: A Repairer is a person who repairs the weights, measures, weighing and measuring instruments, who has to apply to the Department in the prescribed form and is issued with a licence by the Department to carry out the repair work of weights, measures, weighing and measuring instruments.